Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Model 19 xover questions?

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ron!

    A Project Manager like myself... and a Chevy fan too I remember!

    That idea sounds like a winner! I can easily modify the crossover to allow for the 4 ohm load if that will work.

    Will the cabinet be double the size? I was thinking it would be larger for sure, but was not thinking double the size. I can deal with that though.

    This will be a winter project for sure. I am hoping to get a design nailed down and get started as soon as it is cool enough to work out in the new barn.

    I would like to also use the MR594's and 299's I have, but that may be too much for the listening area. That would be a major departure from the 802/902 811B set up. But whet the heck.... it is still in the "design" phase... forums

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Another question related... If I used a CD horn, like the Model 14 horn with the Model 19 crossover, would it sound bad? Does the CD EQ curve need to be included?

    I also have some never used Model 14 crossovers.... I wonder if they would work with modifications? They sure do not seem to be as robust as the 19's though...

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 25, 2008 11:36 PM: Message edited by: Carl Bill ]</font>

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't think you will like the model 14 horns. I had a pair...just didn't do it for me.
    There are larger 500hz small format CD horns...I think they are, shoot, can't remember the model number. But are the same as the large format CD horns, just have the smaller bolt circle. Wonderfull horns. Way better than the 511 in my opinion. I'll try to find the model number. I have a pair, they aren't common. I just need to build a new setup around them.

    And Carl, yep....a project manager, and a Chev fan. Drag racer to be exact.

    Here is an interesting picture of my last run....I'm still a bit nervous about the car...

    10

    I,m in the Nova in the right lane.....

    Ron

    <font color="#FFFFFF"><font size="1">[ July 26, 2008 01:41 AM: Message edited by: RonSS ]</font></font>

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 26, 2008 01:42 AM: Message edited by: RonSS ]</font>

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member wws944's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2008
    Posts
    140
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How about considering a pair of 820-style cabinets? They have dual 15" per cabinet, VOTT-style horn-loaded mid-bass w/bass reflex taking over at VLF. It has been a few years since I have heard the originals, but I have always enjoyed their wonderful, effortless, bass.

    Ron: Nice photo!

  5. #15
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    GM's DIY dual-vertical 515 boxes are bad to the bone. Simple rectangle build. I'll bet an adaptation for 416-8Cs is viable. I think he's tiring of doing designs for guys that never build them, but if you're committed to doing it (and I think you are), I'd sure be trying to avail his services. forums

    Might be a good idea to list all the components you have available for the project so it can be approached as a system design instead of piecemeal by section. You can still build piece at a time.

    Passive XOs for systems with low-XO subs can get pretty expensive. It could be simplified somewhat if your HT source has a sub-out and you run them active, but if going that route you might as well enjoy the benefits of an all-active system.

    M19 XOs will "work" for other setups only to a degree. I think you'll ultimately be happier with either a custom passive or versatile active.

    The electronics you have or are willing to buy play a big part in the planning. Plan twice, build once is a real good idea if you don't want to go through months or years of building, buying, trading, crying. I expect that's your goal, but you might as well lay it all on the table up front.

    Cool pic Ron, do you have a window in the firewall to steer by? forums

    Added;
    Duhh...just realised the stupidity of my smart-a$$ Q...you can't steer with the front end in orbit. 'Fraid my drag savvy is pretty weak...

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 26, 2008 03:40 PM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Brad,

    I could go active. I already have several elctronic xovers, but I could always buy new. I will have a sub out on the processer/preamp. I was just thinking that I could use one amp channel for each side (not sub) if I could use the Model 19 xover.

    I will have to go out and see what all I have.

    I know I at least have the following:
    Pair 811'2
    Pair 511's
    4 or more MR594's
    2 Model 14 horns
    6 or 8 902's (most need new frams.)
    2 299's
    4 416-8C's
    4 500hz xovers (can't remember numbers now)
    2 Model 19 xovers
    2 Model 14 xovers
    2 Model 9 woofers
    4 828 late model cabinets
    Pair Model 19's whole (1978 models)
    etc......

    I'm sure there is more Altec stuff, but that is what comes to mind now...

    Yeah, I would ask GM at some point about box designs... I just didn't want to pester him until I was a little farther on a few things... And YES, I will definately be following through with this project. I have had a lot of the Altec stuff for almost 30 years and had been adding over the last few years before I got hitched. Now that I have the wife's house is done, it is my turn to get the home theatre/stereo back up to speed.

    I also built a bar at the new house. When I learn how to post pictures, I will have to show that off! forums

    Nice Nova Ron! I am sure my stock Vette can't touch that! I would hate to find myself in that position in my vette! forums

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 26, 2008 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Carl Bill ]</font>

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks guys. Sorry to take it off topic.
    Wasn't expecting that, it was a wild ride.
    I know there are a few car guys here. I drive this heap to the track, bolt on the little slicks and play. Runs 10.0 @ 133....but I added nitrous, this was the result.

    Back to speaks....Carl, you have enough stuff, just play. You won't go wrong.

    BTW....love Vettes! Figure out the camera stuff. We want to see.

    Ron

    <font color="#FFFFFF"><font size="1">[ July 27, 2008 03:00 AM: Message edited by: RonSS ]</font></font>

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 27, 2008 03:05 AM: Message edited by: RonSS ]</font>

  8. #18
    Inactive Member z11man's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2004
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Exclamation

    Hey Carl,
    What the heck is a hookah bar? I live in OKC and may want to check it out! Will the audio system be Altec?

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    LOL! It is a place where silly people go to smoke flavored tobaccy from a water pipe!

    www.greenhousehookah.com

    They opened last weekend. Down on Classen just North of 23rd Sreet. East side of the street.

    They sell beer too.

    Sorry... the sound system is powered by a Behringer amplifier I got him for his birthday last year and some Klipsch HT speakers. I tried to see if he was interested in some Altec's, but he said he couldn't afford them. forums

    He is trying to attract the students at OCU. Some of the art students helped with the decor inside. I was surprised by the talent some of those kids have.

    Anyway... any input on the Model 19 crossover questions is still appreciated. forums

  10. #20
    Senior Hostboard Member westend9's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    296
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've accumulated the necesary bits to build Model 19's, sans crossovers. After I did the math of buying networks or building my own and examined the benefits of going active, I bought the Behringer CX3400.

    I saw in your posts that you have an idle set of Model 19 networks so you could modify them by changing out the inductor and caps to run the dual 416-8'S. That would be a less costly route but not by much. The Behringer set me back about $130. That is not the total price of going active, in my case. Cables will have to be made but a few Neutrik ends and some in-stock wire will still add up to be less than building a 19 crossover.

    Good luck with the dual 416's. I'd sure like to hear that setup.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ August 19, 2008 01:26 AM: Message edited by: westend9 ]</font>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.